Battered Women's Trust
Our goal is to empower women to create a
safe and healthy family life for themselves
and their children, free of family violence.
For over 30 years Battered Women’s Refuge
has been leading the campaign against
domestic violence in New Zealand. Battered
Women’s support group was founded in
1976. The support group was reformed into
a Charitable Trust in 1986 and in 1992 our
Refuge/Safe House was opened. 2008 saw
the opening of Community offices in
Christchurch City and in 2009 services to
the rural community was established.
Our Free and Confidential Services Include:
* A 24 hour crisis line 0800 REFUGE
* Safe emergency accommodation.
* Confidential listening and support
* Advocacy at Police, legal, court, Work and
Income, housing, doctors, CYF meetings.
* Referrals to sympathetic counsellors, doctors
and lawyers and other support services.
* 10 WEEK Education group provides women with
knowledge and understanding to move towards
a life free from violence.
* Support groups for women and children focusing
on self esteem building and self care.
* We can provide information and presentations
to community groups, schools and workplaces.
Anyone can call Battered Women’s Refuge for
advice at any time of the day, whether you are
seeking advice, when you are concerned about
someone or whether you need help yourself. We
help in non-crisis and crisis situations.
Ph: 03 332 4122 | Fax: 64 3 366 0419 | Crisis Line: 03 364 8900
PO BOX 36729, Merivale 8146 | 193 Marshland Rd | CHRISTCHURCH 8083 |